Written by: Desiree Lajoie
This topic is one I’ve been very much looking forward to writing about. It’s something that serves a great meaning to me. Everyone assumes when you’re talking about success you’re talking about financial stability, job status, popularity etc. All of these things do correspond with success but to me the meaning is far greater than these. So here are my keys and tips to living a successful life.
1. Finding Your Calling: In order to be successful we need to find what drives us, and in order to figure that out you need to be open to trying new things. If you truly think we only work to pay bills and die then you are closing yourself from finding whatever may drive you. If you choose to “accept” that life is endless labor with zero reward then you have not found something that gives you meaning. Choose to procure an attitude that you can do what you love with your life and begin to surround yourself with people who are living illustrations of this. Follow their example and if you don’t know many people like this, go outside your circle and find them!
2. Balance: Learning how to balance our lives might just be one of the most important roles on the path to success and it may just seem impossible for some. Our emotions coincide with everything; when we are low our motivation becomes low. Be mindful of how your emotions play a role in your life. It can affect your ability to think critically and be creative.
Mind: Pay attention to your thoughts, challenge yourself mentally.
Body; Exercise and Meditation. Eat foods that nourish your being.
Soul: Spend time with family and friends, make time for things you enjoy doing, set goals at work.
3. Time Management: This is a tough one for a lot of people and can set you back quite a bit. It’s something that takes time and commitment to perfect but with the right tricks and tips can easily be mastered. Working 3 jobs has taught me how to properly manage my time. When I was working 1 job I had terrible time management and felt more overwhelmed then I do now with 3 jobs. If you’re militant and efficient about prioritizing, planning, and pursuing you will come into a comfortable place where time management is just a way of life and you will want nothing less.
Prioritize: Figure out what needs to be done, delegate what is urgent and what you can maybe let slide.
Plan: Time for meals, exercise, and socializing.
Pursue: Follow through with priorities and plans, get everything done for today,
4. Always Do Your Best: What we put out we get in return, if you always do your best the universe will reward you. Your best is going to change from moment to moment, it won’t always look the same. Sometimes you may even fail, and that’s okay, it’s all apart of success. When you do your best you avoid self-judgement, and regret. Doing your best is not to be confused with perfectionism. A perfectionist believes he/she will never be good enough regardless of the effort made. With perfectionism comes anxiety and exhaustion which makes it hard to focus and prioritize goals that will benefit us long term.
Martin Luther King Jr. said, “If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven played music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well.”
5. Circumstance: We all believe we have circumstances preventing us from reaching the level of success we wish to have. These circumstance differ from person to person. For me it was growing up in a low income family worried I wouldn’t have the opportunities or “privileges” others have, The truth is though, we all have the same opportunities and in order to be successful we must be resilient to our circumstances and take charge of our lives. The best way to change circumstance you feel are holding you back is to change your mindset, get creative and make it happen, using your situation is just a cop-out. You have 2 choices, become bitter or become better.
This is the pursuit of happiness and we are on the journey to success, inprise yourself, find balance, prioritize, always do your best, failure=success, and don’t let your circumstance hold you back.
Questions or Comments? Please feel free to email me, lajoie,firstname.lastname@example.org